The Wayne State University Student Senate is committed to providing representation and advocacy for all students. We strive to foster an inclusive environment where student concerns are heard and solutions are made. Our main priority is to ensure accurate representation and inclusivity in the decisions made on behalf of our peers. By bridging the gap between students, faculty, staff, and administration, we aim to uplift and encompass the complexities and diversity of the university. Through compelling, student-focused initiatives and partnerships with various departments, we uphold Wayne State University's motto of industry, intelligence, and integrity.
The Student Senate is the primary representative institution of the student body and exercises its authority in the name of students and for the students. We have been an active organization since 1918, with the 2018-19 elections marking our 100th year of existence at WSU.
Some of our past achievements include the following:
- The registration of thousands of students as first-time voters
- The establishment of an on-campus polling location for students who live on and around campus to vote at, and the establishment of election day as an academic holiday
- The creation of the Preferred Name Tool
- The creation of the free iClicker rental program
- The creation of the Office of Multicultural Student Engagement
- The establishment of the Smoke-Free Campus Initiative
- The public release of faculty SET scores
- Implemented contraceptives in campus residence halls and the Student Center vending machines
- Implemented Aunt Flo Menstrual dispensers in select campus restrooms
- Improved and expanded Halal food signage around campus
- Increased reflection rooms across campus
- Supported the creation of Office of Sexual Violence Prevention and Education
- Implemented an annual Fall Break for students
- Purchased free single-use parking passes available to students
With your help, we can accomplish even more!
Instagram: @wsustudentsenate TikTok: @wsu.student.senate Twitter: @wsu_senatee Facebook: WSU Student Senate